Full or part-time
Up to £30,000 pa or pro-rata equivalent for PT hours
Welch & Ellis Accountants and Professional Advisors is a small but ambitious tax firm with offices in Oswestry, Shropshire and clients throughout the UK.
We are looking for somebody who has worked in a boutique big city practice and who may be re-locating for a better work balance or to somewhere they can afford to get on the property ladder. Typically, you might be at managerial level but feel although you have the drive and ability you have little or no potential for partnership in your current job.
We want a full or part-time accountant able to join the practice and manage a small team and make an immediate impact on workflow. Everyone has to contribute across the practice which provides variety and responsibility but director Rob Ellis, is looking for more than just an employee who will want to move in a few years’ time. He wants someone who wants to become a key part of my business and eventually become a partner – to get stuck in and build a future for themselves.
The successful accountant will be responsible for the preparation and review of year-end accounts for sole traders, partnerships and limited companies, both in-house and at clients’ premises. In addition, they will have responsibility for completing corporation tax returns.
They need to be someone with a can-do attitude who is very organised, who welcomes the opportunity to take on responsibility and has an interest in growing and becoming a key part of the business which including networking and business development.
They need to liaise with external stakeholders, including clients and HMRC, keep abreast of legislation and communicate changes to other members of staff.
As well as account preparation and dealing with clients, the role will also include managing junior team members, so good people skills and being keen to undertake further training are key.
Candidates should have a good working knowledge of Xero and Iris Accountancy suite, be IT Literate in Word, Excel and PowerPoint and possess a good knowledge of Accounts and Tax Administration including VAT, PAYE, Self-Assessment and Corporate Tax.
Essential skills :
- Good working knowledge of Iris
- A current clean driving licence (or be prepared to get one within 6 months)
- Excellent telephone manner when liaising with clients
- Ability to use initiative and work largely unsupervised
- Ability to take ultimate responsibility for running the team in the absence of colleagues
- Ability to work under pressure to strict deadlines
Rob explains: “We are not the usual accountancy firm, and so we are looking for a person who is a good fit, which is why we are asking candidates to answer some questions as part of the process.
To apply for the role, please email your CV, a one-page cover letter explain why you want the job and how you meet the person specification and your answers to the following question to: email@example.com . The role will remain open until we have found a suitable candidate and will interview as we go.
- What 5 well known people alive or dead would you invite to a dinner party and why?
- In relation to their work, would you prefer an employee to ask for permission or beg for forgiveness. Please explain you answer.
- What 3 words would you like your friends to use to describe your personality and what 3 words would they actually use.
- Why do you think you are partnership material ( in 100 words or less)